listen to SAfm Current Affairs
Crime Intelligence head Dumisani Khumalo vows to continue serving South Africa
Crime Intelligence head Dumisani Khumalo, says he will not be deterred and will continue to serve South Africa. His comment comes after the National Prosecuting Authority withdrew the fraud and corruption charges against him and his six others. The formal retraction happened during their appearance in the Pretoria Magistrates Court. Earlier we caught up with Sihle Hlongwane, legal representative for Lit. General Khumalo
ANC opens fraud case against Burke’s Kastelo fintech company.
ANC chief whip, Mdumiseni Ntuli, says they have opened a case of fraud against the company of DA MP, Mark Burke at the Cape Town Police station. This relates to the Reserve Bank's investigation into Kastelo, a fintech company that Burke founded. The charges relate to contraventions of the country's exchange control regulations, regarding transactions to the value of four billion rand. The DA earlier this week removed Dr Burke from serving on finance portfolios. Burke has said he previously served as chairperson of the broader Kastelo group, but resigned in 2024, to pursue politics. Ntuli says they decided to lay criminal charges so that the allegations are placed before the relevant authorities. ANC chief whip, Mdumiseni Ntuli explains
NCOP members calls for a forensic investigation into the Rustenburg Rapid Transport project in the North West
Some members of the National Council of Provinces (NCOP) are calling for a forensic investigation into the Rustenburg Rapid Transport project in the North West, to probe corruption and malfeasance. They say making available additional funding to complete the project is a waste of taxpayers' money. This comes after the Rustenburg Local Municipality indicated that they have requested more funding from the Department of Transport to complete the project. Over three billion rand has been used already. Members of the NCOP undertook oversight visits to key public infrastructure and service delivery projects in the Rustenburg area. Zebilon Maine reports. . .
The race to choose the next United Nations Secretary-General moves into another important phase
The race to choose the next United Nations Secretary-General moves into another important phase tomorrow (Friday 21 August), when the Security Council holds its second informal straw poll. Eight candidates are now competing to succeed António Guterres, whose second term ends in December. The field has grown since the first poll at the end of July with the two latest entrants — Ugandan diplomat Olara Otunnu and Ecuadorian diplomat Ivonne A-Baki - having spent the past two days making their case to UN member states. Sherwin Bryce-Pease has this update for us.
Adams alleges silence fuelled suspicions of a cover-up.
Fadiel Adams, leader of the National Coloured Congress and an MP, testifying before the Madlanga Commission says he became aware that the Inspector-General of Intelligence was investigating into Crime Intelligence because he was the complainant. Adams says he repeatedly sought updates and requested a copy of the completed report, but was refused. He says he then approached the Police Minister, asking that the report be brought before Parliament's Police Portfolio Committee, but received no response. Adams told the commission this silence made him suspect a cover-up.
Investigations into several building collapses have uncovered unlawful construction, inadequate supervision, missing approvals
Public Works and Infrastructure Minister Dean Macpherson says investigations into several building collapses have uncovered unlawful construction, inadequate supervision, missing approvals, and weaknesses in municipal inspection and enforcement. He says the circumstances differed in each case. Seventeen people died and 24 were injured in building collapses between December last year and March this year. Macpherson has released the findings of investigations into the collapses in Verulam in KwaZulu-Natal, Doornkop in Soweto, Ormonde in Johannesburg, and Sea Point in Cape Town. Thato Letsaba reports.
NPA withdraws fraud and corruption charges against Khumalo, Mokwele and five others
The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has formally withdrawn fraud and corruption charges against Crime Intelligence head Dumisani Khumalo, Brigadier Dineo Mokwele and five others in the Pretoria Magistrates’ Court. The group was arrested in June last year and charged over the alleged irregular appointment of Mokwele. The decision to withdraw the charges follows evidence and developments before the Madlanga Commission of Inquiry that appeared to undermine the State’s case. Kaizer Kganyago is NPA's National Spokesperson
Adams denies lying, blames memory lapses over timelines.
Fadiel Adams, leader of the National Coloured Congress and an MP, has denied lying to investigators about when he reported matters to Parliament. Adams told the Madlanga Commission that he gave IDAC incorrect information because he struggles to remember dates and timelines. He also said he was frustrated that issues raised with Parliament often appeared to go nowhere.
Adams says he overlooked some IDAC conduct to ensure investigations succeed
Fadiel Adams, leader of the National Coloured Congress and MP, says he needed the Investigating Directorate Against Corruption to succeed. Adams told the Madlanga Commission he did not initially view a late-night visit to his home as seriously improper. He says officials wanted his affidavits changed. Adams admits he was willing to overlook some concerns to help secure cases before court, but says he later raised the matter.
Adams says Lincoln knew Mchunu’s cleanup plans
Fadiel Adams, leader of the National Coloured Congress and MP, says General Lincoln had information beyond the official letter. Adams told the Madlanga Commission that Lincoln appeared to know about Minister Senzo Mchunu’s plans to clean up. Adams says he did not question how Lincoln obtained the information, because of the respect he had for him. He says some information was considered above his level, and he did not want to reveal more details.
Fadiel Adams: Lincoln Had No Ulterior Motives, Madlanga Commission hears
Fadiel Adams, leader of the National Coloured Congress and MP, says retired General Lincoln had no ulterior motives. Testifying before the Madlanga Commission, Adams says Lincoln was passionate about stopping gang violence and cleaning up the police. He says Lincoln told him to walk away from certain matters. Adams acknowledges the consequences of his testimony, but insists Lincoln acted with good intentions and wanted to help fight crime..
Mpumalanga residents plead for mining jobs
Residents and small business owners in Emalahleni, Mpumalanga, have accused mining company, Seriti, of overlooking them for employment and business opportunities at its recently opened pit. The residents say they have not benefitted from the mine in terms of job opportunities, business opportunities, skills training or infrastructure development since it began operations, earlier this year. They claim that the mine prioritises individuals from outside the community, when positions become available at its New Largo Pit A in Empumelelweni. Motsebi wa Monareng reports.
Sexual assault case against Dobsonville church elder Tshepo Ntsimane postponed
The sexual assault case against Dobsonville church elder and political figure, Tshepo Ntsimane, has been postponed to the 3rd of September for pre-trial proceedings. Ntsimane appeared before the Johannesburg High Court in his first appearance since the matter was transferred from the Roodepoort Magistrates' Court. The case is now before a new judge and a new legal team, who are still familiarizing themselves with the matter. Luyanda Danca reports
Man accused of the murder of his wife in front of their two children appears in court
The bail hearing of a Pretoria man accused of the murder of his wife in front of their two children, has taken an emotional turn after the State presented social media posts allegedly written by one of the children following the death of their mother. The woman was allegedly shot and killed in March this year her home in Valhalla, Centurion. The State says the posts highlight the trauma suffered by the children. The Pretoria Magistrates' Court has postponed the matter to 27 August to rule on whether further evidence, including alleged recordings of threats, can be played in court. Nonhlanhla Ntshingila reports.
EFF confident that Thoko Didiza's days in Parliament are numbered
EFF Treasurer-General Omphile Maotwe says Speaker Thoko Didiza will be ousted in next Wednesday's no-confidence vote. Speaking to Bongiwe Zwane, Maotwe said the motion is over Didiza's handling of the Section 89 impeachment process, and the EFF is lobbying other parties for support.
National Assembly to vote in a motion of no confidence against the Speaker Thoko Didiza
The National Assembly will vote in a motion of no confidence against the Speaker, Thoko Didiza, next Wednesday. The motion, tabled by EFF leader, Julius Malema in June, relates to Didiza's decision not to oppose President Cyril Ramaphosa's urgent interdict application in the Western Cape High Court to halt the Parliamentary impeachment process over the Phala Phala matter. The court has in the meanwhile granted the interdict. It is not yet clear if voting will take place in person or on a virtual platform. Zalene Merrington reports.
MK Party and UAT back in court seeking urgent leave to appeal the ruling that halted Parliament's Section 89 impeachment inquiry for Ramaphosa
The uMkhonto weSizwe Party and United Africans Transformation are back in the Western Cape High Court today. They are seeking urgent leave to appeal a ruling that froze Parliament's Section 89 impeachment inquiry into President Cyril Ramaphosa. The court halted the Impeachment Committee's work last month at the President's request, pending a review of the independent panel's Phala Phala report. This follows the Constitutional Court's recent dismissal of a direct appeal on the matter. We spoke to MKP MP, Andile Mgxitama.
National Assembly to vote on an EFF motion of no confidence against Speaker Thoko Didiza
The National Assembly will vote next Wednesday on an EFF motion of no confidence against Speaker Thoko Didiza. The motion, tabled by Julius Malema in June, relates to Didiza's decision not to oppose President Cyril Ramaphosa's urgent interdict to halt the Phala Phala impeachment process. The Western Cape High Court has since granted that interdict. It remains unclear whether the vote will be held in person or on a virtual platform. For more, we're joined by ANC Deputy Chief Whip, Dr. Nobuhle Nkabane.
SANEF condemns alleged intimidation of Sowetan journalist Herman Moloi at Madlanga Commission
The South African National Editors' Forum, SANEF, has strongly condemned the alleged intimidation of Sowetan journalist Herman Moloi at the Madlanga Commission. Moloi opened a criminal case against businessman Stuart James Scharnick alleging Scharnick confronted and threatened him during a tea break for recording video footage. SANEF Executive Director Reggy Moalusi spoke to producer Tracey Boomgaard about how the threats against reporters undermines media freedom.
A look at the current top African economic stories with Victor Kgomoeswana
A look at the current top African economic stories with Victor Kgomoeswana, author of Africa Is Open For Business and Africa Bounces Back
Save video to ...